Monday, January 22, 2007

the ring

I had my mind set on a one carat diamond ring. Then, I watched the movie Blood Diamonds and I hated myself for having wanted such a thing. I even took off my other ring, the one which I never take off, the ring which I was planning to substitute with the one carat ring. That ring I was going to take to a jeweler to buff it and polish it, and then put it away somewhere safe so that maybe one day I could give it to my daughter. I felt strange without my ring, naked, changed, and different. Throughout the day I experienced brief moments of loss, instantly looking at my finger to check for the ring which I felt wasn’t there, only to realize that I had not lost it and it was sitting on my night stand. I kept trying to force it within me that I did not need a ring to make me feel complete. Perhaps I needed time to get used to it. My mom always tells me that for something to become a ritual in your life, it needs about twelve days of constant repetition. I could have tried her philosophy, but instead I picked up the ring and put it on my finger again. That ring was purchased years ago; whatever I did with it now didn’t matter. The only thing I could do was to forbid myself from buying the new ring, the one carat one. This is life in the west, and even if you try to make conscious decisions and lead a life which will not violate the dignity of any other human beings around the world, sometimes it’s just hard. Sometimes you forget, and some other times you just don’t realize that whatever product you are buying, consuming or enjoying has cost a lot more to someone else than the money that you paid for it. As the French would say c’est la vie, but it’s a sad one my friends.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ll.T. said...

Ai film pati te njejtin ndikim mbi te dashuren time :)

Megjithate gjendja s'eshte edhe aq e keqe, me sa kuptoj, vetem 2-3% e diamanteve jane "diamante gjaku".

Nje kerkim tek Wikipedia per "tregtarizimin" e tradites se dhenies se unazes mund te te perforcoje pak deshiren per te mos blere diamante :)

10:11 AM  
Blogger bizele said...

Mendoj qe eshte reagim njerezor. Mbase mua me ndikoi dhe pak me shume duke menduar sepse e kisha qe ne filim me medyshje blerjen e unazes, packa se me pelqente shume.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Candyland said...

Bizele, edhe une pasi pashe filmin mendova te njejten gje. Te dashurit tim ne ate kohe i erdhi fytyra ne vend sepse mendoi se do shpetonte nga "humbja e lekeve" :). Nejse, desha te them qe ishte vertet shokuese te shifje se cfare ndodh ne kontinentin tjeter ndersa ne perendim njerezit festojne marrjen apo dhenjen e nje diamanti. Eshte mese normale qe pas atij filmi te ndihesh ne faj, megjithate une mendoj se tregetia e diamanteve ndihmon nje pjese te njerezve gjithashtu. Nuk jam e sigurt se sa perqind a diamanteve ne treg jane "safe" megjithate besoj se nje pjese e tyre jane. Keshtu me pak research mund te gjesh nje diamant qe mos te te beje te ndihesh fajtore. Ose fundja zgjidh nje gur tjeter te cmuar, si psh sapphire. :)

7:56 PM  
Blogger eni said...

Ngushellimi i vetem per mua ne tere kete gje te dhimbshme eshte se nuk i kam qejf fare guret e çmuar dhe metalet e çmuar.perhere kam preferuar drurin dhe gjerat e tjera natyrale..e mgjth e di fare mire se une jam sa nje kokerr rere ne mes te shkretetires:(

4:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Llukan: lumsi ti! :)

@bizele: edhe ti nga ato qe kerkokan/dashkan diamantin me karate qeke? hm...

11:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

bizele, pse nuk shikon diamantet artificiale, jane po aq te mrekullueshem, dhe kur blihen per te menjanuar diamantet e gjakut, per mua jane dyfish me te cmuar.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by eSnips.com