Monday, February 05, 2007

February 5th, 1991

It was a cold February morning, and as almost every morning I went to my parent’s bed not because I particularly wanted to cuddle with them, but mostly because I wanted to avoid getting ready for school. I joined my mom, who was still in bed reading a maternity book. She asked me if I had thought about a name for my brother who was expected to come any moment now. I started brainstorming, and the only boy names that came to mind were the boys from my class: Ermal, Erion, Ervin, Beni, Ardian…I went on and on, even mentioning names of boys that I could remember from other classes in my school, but my mom didn’t seem to like any of them. I stopped and instead placed my head on her beach ball so I could hear noises from my brother, whom I was so excited about meeting. Dad was shaving in the bathroom close by and the water running in the sink interfered with the movements in my mom’s tummy. He entered the bedroom to get his brown coat, which was most likely identical to the coats that other fathers around town wore that morning. Dad kissed mom goodbye, and as he left she said to him: I have a feeling about today…why don’t you just go to work and let them know that you are taking the day off.
At first I didn’t really understand, but when I started getting ready for school only to be stopped by my mom who said that it would be better if I stayed home, I knew that February 5, 1991 was going to be the day that I would meet my little brother. An hour passed and she called my dad at work. All she said to him was this: get here as soon as you can. So he came, and they left and I stayed home with grandma, and my sister. Later that day, dad took us to the hospital to see the baby, who had not been given a name, and as we would later learn would not be given one until three months after his birth. The delay was not due to any particular traditions or rituals in our culture. It was simply a matter of disagreement between my parents, the grandma’s and the grandpa’s, the uncles and the aunts as to what name he would get. For three months he would be known as “the boy”, until he got the name Marvin.
The day that I met my brother, was also the first time that it snowed in Tirana since the February that I was born.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger belle_fleur said...

Gezuar Ditelindjen e vellait!!! Qenkemi nje grup qe ka lindur ne kete muaj. Your bday is in a few days, isn't it?

10:21 PM  
Blogger eni said...

Gezuar ditelindjen e vellait..s'e dija qe kishe dhe vella.me pelqeka qe paskeni zgjedhur emrin Marvin midis asaj rremuje te emrave aq te supernjhur:))

3:35 AM  
Blogger eda said...

Gezuar ditelindjen Marvinit!
Mbaresi!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gezuar ditelindjene vellait. E mbaj mend ate diten me bore, bile e mendova sot se ketu filloi nje bore kete mengjes. Kam edhe nje fotografi ne fakt, do ta skanoj nderkohe me ndihmen tende, gjeta daten kur kam dale.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PS. Happy Birthday to Marvin.

9:27 AM  
Blogger bizele said...

flm te gjithve; Shkurti dhe pse i shkurter, eshte muaj pjedhor!

tetena :)

1:02 PM  
Blogger belle_fleur said...

hahaha sa kam qeshur me qe ke perdorur moj Bizele....pjedhor = pjellor:))....me ke thene qe ke probleme me ll-ne por jo kaq dobet:))

7:41 PM  
Blogger bizele said...

qeshu ti qeshu me fatkeqesine time....

9:01 PM  
Blogger Candyland said...

Edhe 100 vellait...sorry per vonesen :)

10:25 PM  
Blogger shqipo said...

booo, as fjalen pjellor nuk shkru dot?

anyway. gezuar ditelindjen vellait DHE ty

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by eSnips.com