Friday, March 23, 2007

sick;mom; brother; toothache

As you all know I have been quite sick with the cold all of this week. Las night my mom, finally decided that she had had enough hearing my complaints on the phone delivered thru my transformed, sore, man-like, deep voice. She got in her car, advised me to pack a few things and swept me off my home so that she could have me under her care in my old room. Her remedies are hot liquids, i.e. tea and soups, which I do not mind. What I hate is milk, and this morning I had a cup full after perhaps one year or so of not having had any. During the day I managed to escape for a quick stroll at the beach, since I was feeling quite better.
If she hears me cough, then she is off to the kitchen to pour me some more hot tea, and I usually like tea but not when it’s offered to me as a medicinal, so I have learned to suppress my coughing with a whole lot of cough drops. Tonight she gave me the ultimate remedy, made me soak my feet in extremely hooooot water. Five minutes into it and my feet swelled up like rising bread and were bright and pink like a ripe watermelon. Every time I complained that I was ohh so hot, and my feet were burning she said, that is the purpose of the whole thing, and that I would thank her tomorrow when I would suddenly feel much better. Sometimes, it’s better not to argue with my mom, so I sat there measuring my tolerance of hot water. I guess it was somewhat beneficial since I gave myself a mini pedicure, or at least relieved my nails from a bright red nail polish and trimmed them.
Right after the hot bath for my feet, she sent me right to bed and said that I should rest under the covers, sweat and maintain the heat in my body. I tried to ignore the sweating and the heat by reading, it almost worked. In fact I started to doze off into sleep, when it suddenly hit me that I had promised my brother to revise his paper on Nikita Khrushchev. I got up while also enjoying the cold air in the room, slowly my feet were returning to normal. Then, I felt somewhat guilty that my mom’s efforts had probably gone to waste, but I realized that I really had to read his paper. I discovered that my brother had used a font size of 15 so that he could make the paper cover the 6 pages that his teacher had asked for. I smiled and wondered if he thought that his teacher wouldn’t realize the reason behind the huge font, or if he was simply trying to get by. I changed the font to 12, and made an effort to lengthen the paper so that he could still have six pages.
Now I am going to bed, with a slight tooth ache. I am supposed to have a crown on it, and interestingly enough I had an appointment with the dentist yesterday which I cancelled. It has never bothered me before, but I think it decided to rebel against me tonight since I cancelled yesterday’s appointment.

4 Comments:

Blogger eni said...

te shkuara Bizele.dhe une ende me kolle jam dhe me bombarduan me shurupe dhe caj:)

7:17 AM  
Blogger ITS said...

It's nice to have your mom take care of you when feeling sick. I have missed that for the past ten years.

I guess when you have no choice, you have to take care of yourself.

And how nice of you finish your brother's paper. Don't let him get used to it though, or you will end up majoring in his field as well.

/Get well soon!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what all of the above said.
p.s. good cold & cough remedy, take a swill of raki every morning. my 83 yrs old patient has done it since she was 16 and she only has varicose veins to complain about.
mind you, only a swill, not the whole bottle!

2:54 PM  
Blogger bizele said...

thnx guys.
i am back and already feeling better.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by eSnips.com